Friday 26 December 2008

xmas

Merry Christmas everyone, I really hope you all had a good day.

My day went suprisingly well, I actually had quite a good laugh with the family, and dinner was lovely. I also found out that No.3 had to work on Christmas Day which cheered me up in an extremely pathetic way.

I went driving with my dad today which was horrendous. His car was completely different to what I was used to, and I got off to a bad start by accidentally putting myself in third gear instead of first when I stopped at a junction, and wondered why the car kept stalling when I tried to drive off (took me about five tries before my dad realised what the problem was). I ended up having to pull over to burst into tears, and then spent the rest of the drive trying to fight back more tears. My dad said I did well, but I think he was just patronising me, and of course I have to beat myself up over it either way.

3 comments:

NerdOneirik said...

Ohhhh hun! When I was first learning stick shift it was HORRENDOUS. My mother's hysterical laughter prompted me to get out of the car and walk a good mile home. Finally I got the hang of it and I find that I enjoy manual transmission far more than automatic. I feel like I have more control.

Hang in there! It just takes practice. Also tell that voice in your head that's punishing you that I will kick it's ass.

Seriously.

Katie said...

Thank you :) I know logically there's no reason to get as upset as I did, but I think I was finally starting to think of myself as a good driver (and it's not often that I think of myself as good at anything), and then to find myself struggling as much as I did was a bit of a knock-back. If only we could just be good at things in life without having to go through the process of actually learning!

Anonymous said...

I'm horrible with manual transmissions. I need more practice. I've done that hundreds of times (and sadly, I've not driven a stick that often).