Friday 14 November 2008

driving

I have a driving lesson in just over an hour, and as usual I feel physically sick. The anxiety begins the night before each lesson, and doesn't end til the lesson does. When you have two driving lessons a week, you're spending a lot of time in a constant state of anxiety. It's exhausting.

I'm tempted to just quit, it's reaching the point where it's just too damn hard to carry on. But I don't want to quit. I want to overcome this, I want to be able to drive. If I give in now, I'll never be able to do it.

I had a few lessons when I was 17, and ended up giving up because the anxiety was too hard to take. At the time, I think it was more the fear of being alone with another person for an hour, and the fear of him judging me if I couldn't do it. But now I feel (slightly) more confident with strangers, and I like my instructor, so what's the problem? Is it a fear of failure? I don't know. But I have to get through this, no matter how much of a struggle it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great you try to deal with this. Personally I rarely feel anxious about something, I somehow manage to go with the flow. But I do share your fear of failure, fear of making a mistake, fear of making a fool out of myself. I am 24 and I have more missed opportunities then the people I know combined, all because of fear.
So good luck with that and don't you dare give up so easily :)

Katie said...

Thank you! I think I just have to force myself to do it just to prove to myself if I can. If I give up now I know I'll probably never try again.