Friday 21 November 2008

i did it

I finally booked a doctor's appointment today, and I am officially terrified.

I met up with a friend for coffee this afternoon, and we had a good talk about everything. She's currently in recovery from anorexia, and she gave me some really good advice. Basically she told me to just do it. Book an appointment (or keep trying til I can) and get it over with. I told her how busy I am this year, and how I'm wondering whether I really have the time, strrength and motivation to dedicate myself to getting better. She pointed out that it doesn't have a be a huge life-altering event, I can just take it one step at a time. I don't need to overload myself with trying to transform myself completely, but even booking one appointment is a step in the right direction.

After we said goodbye I started walking back to uni, and without even meaning to I ended up passing the health centre. And I decided she was right, I needed to take that first step, so I did. I have an appointment on Wednesday.

I know doctors have seen and heard it all before, and I know I won't be the first person to have gone to them with mental health problems, but I still feel like I will be. I still feel like they'll just be thinking what the hell are you going on about, get over it. I don't even have a clue what I'm going to say, I don't even know where to start. But like my friend said, I have to just take it one step at a time.

5 comments:

something more than ordinary said...

I think your friend is completely right. I think it's great that your making an effort to get help. The important thing here is not even the therapist that your going to see but it is the fact that your taking control and making a move in the right direction.

I hope it goes well on wenesday. Keep in mind that finding the right help is sometimes hit and miss. You have to find someone you click with. If your lucky you'll find one your first try, or they will be able to recomend somone to you. If you don't really connect with the counselor don't give up. Try and find someone who can help.

Again, I think this is great news. Bravo to you and your bravery.

Dessa said...

Good for you, Kiddo. And I totally agree with the comment above. If you don't click with this doc...keep looking until you find one that you do.

Kim said...

Congrats on making the appointment! It's an awesome first step. It takes a lot to get that first one under your belt, but it'll come easier now.

Life doesn't have to stop for you to take control of your mental health, but if you don't stop and take control of your mental health it will stop your life.

One day you'll look back on this and smile, knowing you did the best possible thing. Trust me on this one--I've been there.

Anonymous said...

yay! It takes courage to take that first step. Good job. I hope that everything turns out well for you.

Lauren, atlastmylove.com

Anonymous said...

Great news! Don't forget to let us know how it went :)